Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I was spy for Fijians

Australia - After almost crippling Britain's Blair Government with a corruption scandal, Gold Coast conman Peter Foster has gone undercover for the Fijian military to expose alleged vote rigging and corruption.

With a male clutch bag concealing a mini video camera and a microphone taped to his chest, Foster met with senior leaders of Fiji's SDL party which controlled the Government until overthrown in a military coup in December.

At the time, Foster was facing forgery charges and was under house arrest in Suva.

"Why did I do it? There is this perception of me as someone who takes from society and doesn't give anything back. Maybe I am just trying to make amends for my sins of the past by being a good citizen, by going out there and putting my neck on the line and saying you know. I want to be on the side of the good guys for a change," Foster said yesterday.

Countering Foster's claims were allegations yesterday that the Australian conman tried to bankroll the SDL election campaign.

But in carrying out the sting operation, Foster has upset some powerful people in Fiji where he had been working to build an island resort.

Local sources yesterday said it's unlikely he will ever be able to regain credibility on the Pacific island nation. (more)