Friday, April 29, 2011

The 12 Step Program to Securing Your Life

Nick Mediati, of PCWorld has written a good security article with very practical advice. The summary of tips appears below, but click (more) to read the full details for each item.

Being Security Scrapbook readers, you probably already know, or have done, all of them. 

I thought so until I hit #12. It had been a while decades, so I checked. Surprise, everything financial was correct, but they listed me as being employed by a company I had never heard of. Hummm. Should I correct it, or use it as a cover for my real work?

Secure Your Life in 12 Steps
1. Use Virtual Credit Card Numbers to Shop Online
2. Secure Your Wi-Fi
3. Encrypt Your Hard Drives
4. Keep Your Software Up-to-Date
5. Upgrade to the Latest Antivirus Software
6. Lock Down Your Smartphone
7. Install a Link-Checker Plug-In

8. Don't Neglect Physical Security
9. HTTPS Is Your Friend
10. Avoid Public Computers and Wi-Fi
11. Be Password Smart
12. Check Your Credit Report Each Year...
If you are a U.S. citizen, you're entitled to receive one free credit report every 12 months from each of the three major credit agencies--Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion--via AnnualCreditReport.com.  (more)