Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Security Director Budget Booster - Perspective

My colleague, Ira Winkler, writes...
A few years ago, I was called in by the CSO of a Fortune 25 company. He hired 4 of the best known companies that do penetration testing to find problems with their corporate network. All 4 companies came back two weeks and $100,000 later, and told the CEO that they had full control of his network. The CSO went immediately to the CEO, who basically replied, "I don't care." 

The CSO then hired me to perform an espionage simulation. I came back within one week, and handed the CSO their mergers and acquisitions plans, their new technologies that were being released in three years, multi-billion dollar proposals, pictures showing how I bugged the CEO's office, and told him that I had full control of their entire network. The next week, the CEO raised the security budget by $10,000,000 and they hired security managers for all business units. (more)

Security Directors...
The ideas and strategies powering your organization to success are vulnerable long before they are ever distilled into data. A good counterespionage strategy addresses this, thus winning the admiration – and funding – of management. ~Kevin