Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Wrong Question

I am asked some really odd security questions. Take this one from a media editor, for example…

“I’ve been reading various articles in which experts are quoted as saying that terrorism is a threat that is just as important as malware to corporations. But I’m not sure whether that is the case, or if it is, what terrorism means in the enterprise context. Also, how can corporate terrorism be guarded against?”

She was right. The debate didn’t make sense. She smelled a rat and was double-checking. I asked her to bear with me while I steered the discussion back to sanity. I began…

Malware is annoying and can be damaging, but keep it in perspective. It won’t sink your ship. A “terrorist spending vs. IT spending” debate also misses the mark... The welfare of the employees and their companies is better served with an “intellectual assets spending vs. IT spending” debate. (more)