Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kevin's FREE Counterespionage Consulting Day


Let's solve some common counterespionage problems...

1. "How can I stop shoulder surfers from reading my computer screen? The polarized screen thing makes me look like a paranoid dork."

Kevin says... Funny you should ask. I recently purchased some computer screen security software for testing, PrivateEyes from Oculis Labs. It works eerily well. All you need is a computer screen with a video camera and Windows. 

During the simple setup, the software learns who you are by looking at your face. From that point on, the screen automatically blurs unless you are looking directly at it. Turn to answer a phone call, or talk to someone nearby – BLURRR goes the screen. 

"What if someone sneaks up behind me?" I hear you say. No problem. When it sees an extra set of eyes – BLURRR.

Pro: The BLURRR effect changes quickly.
Con: Doesn't work as well in a high contrast environment.

PrivateEyes would also make an awesome IT guy gag. "I don't know. Your computer screen looks sharp and clear to me. Maybe you should get your eyes checked."

FREE 30-day trial.


2. "How can I document the identity of who enters my sensitive secure areas like: the executive suite, computer center, phone closets, elevators and boardroom? Card keys and pin codes don't do this. Biometric and CCTV solutions are not always cost-effective."

Kevin says... Consider installing a high-sensitivity digital surveillance camera that can capture high-resolution color images in low light conditions when motion is detected within its field of view. Images are stored on a removable memory card for easy viewing on your computer. The camera can also be started by a door opening or other trigger, and it can be configured to capture images on a time-lapse basis.

'Set and forget’ operation... Most cameras of this type can store up to 65,000 images and will optionally overwrite the oldest images when the memory card is full. (Example)
 

2. "Our corporate aircraft flies internationally and parks unattended for long periods of time. How can I tell if foreign nationals have boarded the plane to plant bugging devices? Murray Associates inspects the plane for us upon return, of course, but can't more can be done?"

Kevin says... Yes. Consider installing a covert digital surveillance camera – similar to the above camera's specs – in the cockpit, and at either end of the passenger compartment. Raw board cameras are small, battery powered (6-9 months!) and can be place covertly behind panels or within normally seen objects. Easy and cost-effective! (Example)



3. We have some remote locations we need to keep an eye on but it is not cost-effective to send a guard unless there is a problem. What can we do?

Kevin says... Send pictures to the guard on his cell phone! Digital surveillance cameras come in a variety of styles including outdoor mounting and solar-powered. Photos may be sent time lapse, upon being triggered by movement or an alarm, or upon demand. The guard is alerted immediately, and only when necessary. (Example)


Full Disclosure: I do not sell security hardware, or accept commissions when a purchase is made. My income comes solely from my clients when they hire me for independent consulting. My recommendations usually come with several security hardware choices. Clients do not need to "mention my name" when they make a purchase.

Bonus... 
Clients know my recommendations are based solely upon their needs. ~Kevin

My thanks to Barry Bouyer, of Moreton Bay Systems Pty Ltd. for the use of his photos.