Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eavesdropping on Wi-Fi Eavesdroppers

via Eric Geier, enterpriseitplanet.com...
When I discuss Wi-Fi security, I try to demonstrate what a Wi-Fi eavesdropper or hacker could see from an unencrypted wireless network. This way you can imagine what someone from the parking lot or nearby can see of the data traveling between you and the access point (AP)... In this article, we'll look at several different online and network services or communication types that are vulnerable to sniffing or capturing by eavesdroppers. Along the way, I'll give tips on how you could secure them, over and above encrypting the entire link. (more)

I agree with Eric and show my clients how easy it is to intercept unencrypted transmission, too. We use similar techniques. There is just something about actually seeing it which makes it very real. You'll never trust a public Wi-Fi hot spot again. ~Kevin