Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rare: A Bugger Speaks Out About His Craft

Today, the technologies for communications monitoring and recording conversations are so advanced, practically unnoticeable, and easily available...

An electronics technician from Skopje (Macedonia) who is selling these devices has had a very unpleasant experience with the victims of his clients. He insisted that we do not publish his name.

I’m only making these devices, and I am not responsible for how people are using them. My “bug” has a range of 50 meters, and the recording can also be heard on a mobile phone. It is recording excellent on an FM-radio frequency, except when waves from the radio stations in Skopje are causing interference – he says, while showing us the small transmitter...

“A professor from a gymnasium in Skopje called me. I could feel the anger in his voice. He caught his students cheating during an exam by using my “bug”. What can I say; I am not encouraging children to do this. I also explained to him that there are also other young electronics technicians, who are manufacturing transmitters” he said.

Let me be clear, I am not selling these devices so that they could be abused. Some people are using my “bugs” to discover marital infidelities. Sometimes people are calling me, as if I had placed the device. I want these devices to be used for noble purposes, so that mothers could hear their babies crying, for instance. I am even prepared to give one of my bugs to each mother with twins, he added.

The devices of the Macedonian electronics technician are just part of the technological array of devices that can be used for eavesdropping. Almost all of the mobile phones have voice recorders. The new voice recorders are so small that they can be hidden in one’s sleeve. Online store “e-Bay” and other websites are selling mobile phones worth up to 1,000 euros that can be used to eavesdrop on other mobile phones. Hacker websites on the Internet are offering small programs for free, that can be sent via e-mail, that are afterwards sending back usernames and passwords of the email’s user to the original sender. The list is quite long. There are even so called “spy shops” in the USA. (more)